The special court on Wednesday said that a copy of the confessional statements by 13 alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives in the terror e-mail case will be provided to the defence lawyers on April 4.
An application was moved before the court and Judge Y D Shinde has said that the statements would be opened on April 4 and a copy would be given to us, Defence lawyer Farhana Shah said. The defence lawyers had moved the application before the Special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court early in the day.
The plea requested opening of the confessional statements recorded by the alleged IM operatives,so that they can prepare their defence during the trial. The statements,recorded before a metropolitan magistrate,are still kept with the court in a sealed envelope.
Meanwhile,the judicial custody of the 21 accused arrested in the case was extended till April 28.
The accused are charged with sending threatening e-mails from Mumbai just before the serial blasts in Delhi and Ahmedabad last year. The Crime Branch has already filed a chargesheet in the case saying the groups members were involved in bomb attacks across the country since 2005. Their modus operandi included sending threatening e-mails,using unsecure Wi-Fi connections,to media houses and government agencies minutes before the attacks were executed.
Peerbhoys brother withdraws plea for his car
Adil Peerbhoy,brother of arrested media-wing head of the IM group Mansoor Peerbhoy,has withdrawn application for return of his black Maruti esteem car.
Adil had moved a plea in the court saying that the car belonged to him and it should be returned to him on a personal bond.
The Crime Branch had seized the car as it was used by Mansoor to travel from Pune to Mumbai to hack into unsecured wi-fi accounts for sending terror emails.