The anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) Sunday arrested a Home Guard and her associate for posing as police officers to allegedly extort money from a mechanic, officials said.
The Thane unit of the ACB, which laid the trap, has identified the Home Guard as Kalpana Patil (25), and her associate as Aalam Shaikh (30).
- Under BSP rule, incidents like Una will not happen, says Mayawati as she kicks off poll campaign in Gujarat
- Senior journalist K J Singh, 92-year-old mother found dead at their Mohali residence
- Despite Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi's claims, violence against Rohingya continues
- Syria drops off the radar at UN assembly
- Fearing eruption, thousands in Bali flee from Mount Agung
- Caroline Wozniacki stuns Garbine Muguruza to reach Pan Pacific Open final
ACB sleuths said Patil and Shaikh had extorted Rs 20,000 from the mechanic. “Patil contacted the complainant for more money, threatening him with criminal action if he did not pay.”
“The complainant approached us on Saturday evening and a trap was laid,” said an ACB official. Patil and Shaikh were nabbed near Reti Bandar in Mumbra while accepting Rs 20,000 in cash.
“The case has been transferred to the Mumbra police. Patil is with the Home Guards but since she was nabbed while off duty, the Mumbra police will probe the matter,” said an official.