The anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) Sunday arrested a Home Guard and her associate for posing as police officers to allegedly extort money from a mechanic, officials said.
The Thane unit of the ACB, which laid the trap, has identified the Home Guard as Kalpana Patil (25), and her associate as Aalam Shaikh (30).
- Maharashtra ACB secures conviction in two graft cases
- ACB nabs two cops for ‘taking bribe’
- Ward officer held for demanding Rs two lakh bribe
- Policewoman, constable held for ‘taking bribe’ in rape case
- Two sanitary inspectors of KDMC arrested for taking bribe
- In rare case of ‘reverse trap’, two arrested for giving bribe in Pune
ACB sleuths said Patil and Shaikh had extorted Rs 20,000 from the mechanic. “Patil contacted the complainant for more money, threatening him with criminal action if he did not pay.”
“The complainant approached us on Saturday evening and a trap was laid,” said an ACB official. Patil and Shaikh were nabbed near Reti Bandar in Mumbra while accepting Rs 20,000 in cash.
“The case has been transferred to the Mumbra police. Patil is with the Home Guards but since she was nabbed while off duty, the Mumbra police will probe the matter,” said an official.