The Bombay High Court on Wednesday directed that an interim stay on allotment of flats under the Chief Ministers discretionary quota should continue and asked the state government to wait till the dispute is decided in the court. The court had stayed the allotment in January last year on a petition filed by city lawyer Tekchand Kaushik.
During the hearing,government pleader D A Nalavade had contended that the stay should be lifted in view of the new norms framed by the state government for the allotment process. The division bench of Justices S A Bobde and R D Dhanuka ruled against lifting the interim stay and posted the case for final hearing on March 12.
Earlier,the government had told the court that it had published the new norms in the official gazette on November 30. According to the norms,50 per cent of the flats would be reserved for government and semi-government employees while the remaining would be allotted to various sections of the society. Flats for persons other than government employees would be allotted to families of martyrs,members of the Assembly and prominent figures from the fields of arts,scientific research,sports and journalism.
The petitioner had claimed that he had been allotted a flat under the quota in Versova but it was later transferred to another person without his knowledge. The flat was said to have been allotted to him through a letter by the principal secretary,housing. However,it was later given to a former registrar of the High Court,he said.
In successive hearings,the court had taken cognisance of alleged irregularities in the allotment process under the discretionary quota.