Awaiting clarifications from two of the six consortia that had evinced interest in building the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL),the citys development authority has so far been unable to prepare a list of consortia eligible for financial bidding for the project.
The MMRDA had earlier said it would scrutinise the six proposals and prepare a final list by April 20,a month after it had declared the names of companies interested in building the Sewri-Nhava link.
It took some time to scrutinise the proposals and even though it initially seemed that all six were good enough to qualify,we found some queries in two proposals. So,we thought it would be better to get clarifications at this stage than be questioned later. We dont want to leave any scope for impediments for the project in the future, said an official,who did not wish to be named.
The MMRDA sought clarifications from the consortia on April 27 and they are expected to respond by Thursday,after which the authority will finalise the list,the official said. We will decide depending on their responses. But if we dont find them satisfactory,we may drop either one or both, he added.
The MMRDA plans to issue request for proposals and hand out feasibility reports to the consortia selected for final bidding by the end of this month. This would be the states third attempt at bidding out this ambitious project,which is expected go a long way in enhancing connectivity between Navi Mumbai and South Mumbai.
The 22-kilometre MTHL will have a 16.5-kilometre bridge across the Mumbai harbour and 5.5-kilometre viaduct approaches on the Sewri and Nhava sides. The MMRDA plans to pick a contractor by November and start construction by next year. The MTHL,to be built at a cost of Rs 8,800 crore,would be ready by 2017.