A Voter’ grievance cell has been started in the city to address complaints about names missing from the voters’ list on polling day. The cell has introduced a helpline number (022-39386803) on which a complaint can be registered by giving a missed call or an SMS can be sent to a number (+91-7718917555) with the name and polling details of the voter.
A website link has also been provided where a similar complaint can be lodged (http://Tiny.cc/missingvoters)
This comes as an addition to the various steps being taken against electoral lapses that caused many voters to find their names missing from the voters’ list. The cell was introduced Friday by a citizen initiative titled ‘vote for a better India’, which previously worked to encourage people to vote. The director, Vasudha Jhunjhunwala, said that she received several calls from voters who were not able to vote on April 24 in Mumbai because their names did not feature on the list.
“We received around 15,000 complaints on the day of polling, and people complained about their names being wrongly deleted from the list. We have already sent a list of about 6,000 names of voters and their polling details to the chief electoral officer. We expect more responses because of the helpline and SMS service. On Monday, we plan on sending a consolidated list to the Election Commission so that the aggrieved voters can be given a chance to vote,” said Jhunjhunwala.
She also said that she received nearly 10,000 responses on the URL, around 1,000 missed calls and about 300 messages by Saturday evening. “Many non-governmental organisations and independent groups are joining our cause. Once we get a good database of aggrieved voters, we can approach the Election Commission formally,” she said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016