The government’s decision to convene the monsoon session for two weeks beginning June 2 has come under attack from the Opposition BJP, which has alleged that it is a ploy to deny them the opportunity to debate on critical issues of deteriorating law and order situation and series of scams.
“I am extremely unhappy. I have conveyed it to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan to hold the session for at least four weeks,” Leader of the Opposition in state Assembly Eknath Khadse said.
“The government will have to place a full-fledged budget in this session since they had just presented an interim budget in March because of Lok Sabha elections. How can we discuss budget and other important issues within two weeks?” Khadse said. State BJP president Devendra Fadnavis too said the duration was too short to discuss all important issues.”Be it law and order, drought, relief package to the hailstorm-hit farmers, there are at least a dozen critical issues that need to be raised in the Assembly. Ideally, the session should have been for at least four to five weeks,” he said.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“Every year, the budget session held in March goes on for five weeks. Moreover, there are several issues related to caste conflicts and killings of Dalits across Maharashtra,” he added. Vinod Tawde, Leader of the Opposition in state Council, levelled similar charges.
However, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan dismissed the charges as baseless. “There are several sessions which were concluded in less than two weeks. So, it would be unfair to accuse our government of any political motive,” he said.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Harshvardhan Patil said two weeks was a long period. “The government is not objecting to discussion on any subject demanded by the Opposition parties. We are open for debate on any issue raised by them,” he said.