Four unidentified armed men allegedly barged into a stationary car and robbed diamonds and gold worth Rs 1.6 crore in Borivali (east) on Friday evening. The police said the driver of the vehicle was the main suspect, as he stopped at a pre-decided location at a specified time to facilitate the heist.
According to the police, the Mahindra Bolero car (MH 46 E 3155), which had a security vault built into its rear, was transporting 860-gm diamonds and 3.5-kg gold from Surat to the Bharat Diamond Bourse in Bandra on Friday. Apart from the driver, Uday Bhansingh Thakur, two security guards, Rameshkumar Gupta and Rajendraprasad Dwivedi, were travelling in the car, the police said.
The car belonged to a Mumbai-based logistics firm that often transports jewellery consignments to the airport for export. The police said the three men inside the car were employed with a security firm based in Kurla.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
“Around 4.15 pm, the driver suddenly stopped on the Western Express Highway outside Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP), saying that there was some problem with one of the tyres,” said Dilip Roopwate, assistant commissioner of police, Dahisar division.
Almost instantly, the four men opened the doors of the car and entered from both sides. Roopwate added that the men overpowered the guards and assaulted them. “The accused were carrying choppers and country-made pistols, and threatened to kill them if they resisted,” he said. Roopwate also said that the accused then bound and gagged the three men, bundled them into the security hold and drove the vehicle to Vajreshwari in Virar. They took the valuables and fled, abandoning the three men inside the vehicle.
The security guards were able to alert the police after being free from their bonds. A case of kidnapping and dacoity has been registered at the Kasturba Marg police station. “We have begun our investigation and trying to nab the accused,” said Roopwate.