A 36-year-old Ghana national was arrested on Tuesday by the airport police for allegedly possessing cocaine, the police said.
Accused Afuko Nana had allegedly hidden five packets of white powder in his waist belt.
“Airport authorities found Nana suspicious and frisked him. The officials found powder stuffed in his belt, following which an explosive trace detector machine was used which further found that powder contained 23 per cent cocaine,” said a police officer with the airport police.
- ‘Frustrated’ Indigo employee makes hoax bomb call to ‘teach airline lesson,’ arrested
- Tamil Nadu: 1.80 kg cocaine seized from Portugese national
- Striking gold at Chandigarh Airport: Increasing number of flights and smuggling cases
- Four busts at IGI airport: Gold smuggling, now in fruit drink mixture
- Kolkata: NCB nabs Nigerian from airport with cocaine worth Rs 1 crore
- Tycoon hotelier Vikram Chatwal arrested in US for drug possession
Nana was on his way to Kolkata from the domestic airport and was taken into custody at 8.35 pm.
The 20 grams cocaine is worth about Rs 1.2 lakh.
Nana has been in India since November 25, last year and his visa will expire on May 18.
“Nana in his statement to the police said he received this consignment from Delhi and it was to be delivered to someone in Kolkata,” an officer with airport said.