THE THANE police on Monday arrested Jay Mukhi, one of the wanted accused in the Ephedrine drug bust case, in Thane, after nearly a month-long chase.
His arrest is important for the probe into the alleged racket, involving diversion of ephedrine from a Solapur-based pharmaceutical company to make narcotics, as Mukhi allegedly attended several meetings with alleged members of cartels in Dubai and Africa.
- Ephedrine haul: Day after retraction plea, accused chargesheeted
- Bollywood star from 1980s, three other actors under police scanner in ephedrine haul case
- Ephedrine Drug Bust: Supplementary chargesheet filed, Mamta Kulkarni and partner wanted
- Ephedrine haul: Thane police hunt for Morocco Indian
- Ephedrine drug bust: Thane police name Mamta Kulkarni as accused
- Ephedrine haul: Dubai trip of accused Mukhi and Rathod under scanner
ACP Bharat Shelke said that they detained Mukhi from Gorakhpur on Monday and got his six-day transit remand. He added that Mukhi was believed to have attended several meetings in Dubai and Africa, including some with international drug lord Vicky Goswami.
“His arrest will help probe the cartels the accused were supplying Ephedrine to,” Shelke said.
Mukhi is the tenth accused arrested in the case and the police are still looking for three others, including Vicky Goswami.
Based on the interrogation of a Nigerian national, arrested on April 18, there had been a series of arrests that had eventually led the Thane police to the office of Avon Lifesciences Ltd in Solapur MIDC from where they had recovered 18.5 tonnes of ephedrine.