The Union Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) on Wednesday issued a final notification to allow reclamation for a coastal road, formally paving the way for the construction of a 35-km coastal freeway in Mumbai.
The MoEF had published a draft notification amending the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) notification, 2011, in June to permit reclamation for a coastal road. The ministry has, however, specified that the reclaimed land cannot be used for any commercial or real estate purposes, and the reclamation will also not impact the current CRZ line, which will remain unchanged.
A senior Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) official said, “Currently, we are in the process of conducting a peer review of the project plans. The peer review is almost at its end. We are simultaneously getting the tender documents ready. The notification has now formally paved the way for us to go ahead with tendering.”
The coastal road project, proposed to be constructed as a combination of roads on stilt, reclaimed land and tunnels, will provide a freeway from south Mumbai’s Nariman Point to Kandivali, easing traffic in the highly-congested western suburbs.
The project, estimated to cost about Rs 12,000 crore, was hanging fire for over four years as it involved reclamation of about 150 hectare from the sea and mangroves, which until now was strictly prohibited.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched