The 32-year-old man admitted in Jogeshwari-based Hindu Hriday Samrat Balasaheb Thackeray hospital as a suspected Ebola case has tested negative for the virus, civic authorities said on Monday. Hospital authorities said the patient had also recovered from fever.
The man, who had reached Mumbai airport from Nigeria on Sunday, was suspected to have contracted the virus by the Airport Hospital Organisation after he was screened for fever and was found to have a running nose.
He was immediately shifted to the civic-run facility for quarantining in the 10-bedded isolation facility specially created for this purpose by the hospital.
Deputy executive health officer Dr Mangala Gomare said the blood samples of the patient were sent to the National Institute of Virology in Pune for testing. On Monday, the reports confirmed that the 32-year-old was not a case of Ebola virus disease.
A doctor from the trauma hospital said, “The patient is now asymptomatic. He will be discharged soon.” The doctor added that the passenger had been kept in the isolation ward and was under constant observation.
Earlier this month, a 31-year-old man from Nigeria, suspecting himself to have contracted the Ebola virus, had been quarantined at home in Vasai by civic health officials as a precautionary measure to contain the suspected infection. He had reached India on July 28 from Lagos.
So far two suspected cases have been reported by the civic authorities, both of whom tested negative for the disease. According to civic officials, three isolation facilities – in Kasturba, JJ and Jogeshwari trauma hospital – have been set up in the city to deal with possible Ebola cases.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: August 26, 2014 12:00 am