Dust swirls and clouds loomed over the city while some areas on the outskirts such as Kharghar and Karjat reportedly experienced showers on Wednesday. Officials from the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) say this thunderstorm phenomenon is common in May which sees high temperatures and humidity.
“Such weather is common in May when high temperature and lot of humidity form thunder shower cells. Some spells of rain can also be expected during such weather,” said V K Rajeev, IMD (Mumbai) director.
On Wednesday, IMD recorded a maximum temperature of 33.7 degrees Celsius and 35 degrees Celsius in Colaba and Santacruz respectively. Meanwhile, the relative humidity recorded at Colaba was 54 per cent and at Santacruz, it was 39 per cent. According to the IMD, showers were reported in Khopoli, Pune and other parts of south Konkan such as Ratnagiri, Vengurla and Mahabaleshwar as well.
The sudden thunderstorm hit the power supply in Shahapur, Murbad, Karjat, Khalapur, Mahad, Alibaug, Roha, according to Mahavitaran officials. “The heavy storm and rain in these parts since 4 pm uprooted electric poles and trees, which led to snapping of conductors and transformer failures. Almost all the feeders in these areas are reportedly under breakdown. Restoring the supply is our priority and we are working on it. The chief engineer of Kalyan Municipal Corporation is monitoring the work,” said Ram Dotonde, Mahavitaran spokesperson.
The dust swirls observed in the city were a result of the winds associated with thunder clouds, according to K S Hosalikar, deputy director-general of meteorology, IMD Mumbai.
“Sometimes, in this thunder storm phenomenon, it may not rain, but be marked with dustiness. This is a short-lived phenomenon that lasts for 6-8 hours. The dust swirls begin in the afternoons with the thunder cloud development and generally dies down by evening,” he added.
The minimum temperature recorded at Colaba on Wednesday was 28 degrees Celsius while it was 27.2 degrees Celsius at Santacruz.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review