A 15-year-old boy, who was part of a rally on its way to Chaityabhoomi on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti, was killed after being run over by a dumper in Sion on Tuesday morning. The Sion police have arrested the driver of the dumper.
According to the Sion police, the incident occurred on the Sion Flyover at around 10:15 am on Tuesday. The police said that the deceased, identified as Aditya Walekar (15) was riding pillion on a motorbike being driven by his neighbour Gajaram Dabhade (29), and the duo, along with around 100 others from their locality in Milind Nagar, Bhandup, were on their way to Chaityabhoomi when the accident occurred.
“The dumper, which was travelling towards Chembur, lost control and crashed head on into the motorbike. Dabhade managed to jump off in the nick of time, and sustained injuries to his arm, while Aditya, who took the full impact of the collision, lost his life,” said Police Sub Inspector Laxman Dagde.
- Father & son return to Chaityabhoomi every year to spread Ambedkar’s thoughts, books
- Dr Ambedkar's death anniversary: From 3 lakh, turnout dips to 30,000 in Mumbai's Shivaiji Park
- Ambedkar death anniversary: As rain continues, 600 cops, NDRF team on guard
- MACT awards Rs 27 lakh to kin of jeweller killed in accident
- Aditya Ranka kidnap-murder: Court acquits cousin, convicts friend
- Three dead as Swift hits dumper on Gurgaon e-way
Members of the rally rushed both Dabhade and Aditya to the Sion Hospital, where Aditya was declared dead before admission, the police said. Meanwhile, the dumper driver, identified as Mohan Lal Vishwakarma, was taken into custody and subsequently placed under arrest by the police.
“Vishwakarma has been charged with causing death due to rash and negligent driving under the Indian Penal Code and the Motor Vehicles Act. He was not found to be drunk at the time of the incident. We will be producing him in court on Wednesday,” Dagde added.