The scraping of high value notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 from Tuesday night has not impacted families going to cemeteries and crematoria for their loved one’s final rites. At the 64 BMC-run cemeteries and crematoria in the city, provision of wood to burn the body or of electricity in electric crematorium has been made free.
“There is no charge according to government rules in crematorium. The family has to only make arrangement of ghee and other things they require for funeral rites,” said Pappu Kamble, who works at the Worli crematorium.
The city has 202 crematoria and cemeteries, of which BMC manages 64. Of these 64, there are 43 crematoria, 13 cemeteries for Muslims (Shias, Sunnis, Dawoodi Bohras) and eight Christian cemeteries.
Several cemeteries, such as ones used by Dawoodi Bohras and by Jews, are privately maintained on BMC land. While the cost for digging the soil is supposed to be zero, in some cases the labourers may be paid some amount for his services.
“The latest problem of old currency declared void has so far not affected any of these facilities,” Abhijeet Patil, monitoring condition of few crematoria in South Mumbai, said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More