Demolition ‘process’ starts today, the Campa Cola endgame begins

On the first day, we will cut off electricity and gas connections to the illegal flats. We are aiming at finishing this in three days, said Additional municipal commissioner, BMC.

By: Express News Service | Mumbai | Updated: June 20, 2014 1:39 pm
Police summoned 11 residents of Campa Cola compound Monday in connection with the case registered in November 2013 against some residents who had resisted the BMC’s demolition attempt then. The demolition process will also be filmed and used as proof against the residents in case they protest against the civic officials. (Source: IE archive)

The BMC will begin the demolition process of 96 illegal flats in Worli’s Campa Cola compound today. A delegation of around 30 officials from Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport undertaking (BEST) and Mahanagar Gas, along with civic and police officials are expected to reach the compound to begin the demolition process at 11.30 am.

“On the first day, we will only cut off electricity and gas connections to the illegal flats. We are aiming to finish this in the next three days, after which we will begin breaking the internal walls of the seven buildings,” said additional municipal commissioner, Mohan Adtani.

The demolition process will also be filmed and used as proof against the residents in case they protest against the civic officials.

“In case of resistance, we will try and engage in a dialogue with the residents, but we will not use any force. We will send the recording to the Supreme Court (SC) and file a contempt petition against the residents protesting,” added Adtani.

The civic body is also planning to pull down the tents put-up by the residents in the compound. The BMC had earlier issued stop-work notices for the removal of tents, where the residents were planning to stay in the event of their homes being demolished.

“Our main priority is to follow the SC’s orders. Since the tents have been put-up without seeking permission from the civic body, we will remove it in due course,” Adtani added.

After the residents failed to surrender their keys at the G-South ward office, for the second time, as per the administration’s instructions, the BMC said it would enter the premises on June 17 or thereafter.

It later deferred the demolition by four days on humanitarian grounds owing to the death of a resident, Vinod Kothari, on Sunday.
Meanwhile, residents on Thursday said that two of the senior citizens in the compound are seriously ill and under clinical care after they received eviction notices from the civic body.

mumbai.newsline@expressindia.com

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

  1. A
    Ashok Kriplani
    Jun 21, 2014 at 7:38 am
    We are instead a Criminal Country having slavery system.
    Reply
  2. M
    md
    Jun 20, 2014 at 11:00 am
    builders and bmc should pay for a second home for these people. The properties of the BMC officials and the builders should be attached to make them go through the pain
    Reply
  3. S
    shivkumar
    Jun 20, 2014 at 7:52 am
    We are really a hypocrite country where we punish the victims and let the accused go scot free; Why is this done? Because politicians and babus are involved.Hypocrite Government could overturn Supreme Court order on dance bars by making a new law................ but it does not want to help these hapless middle cl people as they are not a vote bank.What a shame.
    Reply
  4. A
    A.Sa.
    Jun 21, 2014 at 1:57 pm
    And the Supreme Court ... What has happened to the case against its former Chief Justice for wealth amed by near relatives during his tenure?
    Reply