The father of Agnelo alias Richie Valdaris, who died in Wadala Railway Police’s custody, and three others including a minor who allegedly faced physical and sexual abuse in the police lock-up in April, Monday moved the Bombay High Court seeking action against police officers who allegedly brutalised the youngsters.
The petition filed jointly by Leonard Valdaris, an employee of the Mumbai Port Trust, and the three boys who were picked up by the police with Richie, has sought the prosecution of the officers and urged the High Court to transfer the probe to the CBI.
The Child Welfare Committee (CWC) that recorded the statement of the the minor last week directed the registration of FIR under sections of the Protection of Children from sexual offences Act (POCSOA) against police officers allegedly involved in sexually assaulting a minor in their custody.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
According to the statement given by the minor, on the intervening night of April 15 and 16, they were allegedly picked up by the police for stealing a gold chain and ring.
The teenager also said that they were being threatened to commit to perform demeaning sexual acts, which they did out of fear. He said that one of them was stripped and made to run outside the lock-up.
Along with an independent probe, the petitioners have also urged the court to grant them suitable compensation. The court will hear the petition on Tuesday.
The Wadala Railway police had claimed that Richie was killed after being run over by a train while attempting to flee from custody.
While a CID inquiry has been intiated to probe Richie’s death, the police have not undertaken any probe into the allegations of sexual assault of the three others including the minor.