A Magistrate court on Monday acquitted actor Preity Zinta in a cheque-bounce case filed against her by Bollywood scriptwriter and director Abbas Tyrewala. Zinta was accused of not honouring a payment of Rs 18 lakh three years ago.
The dispute dates back to 2013, when Tyrewala had been commissioned by Zinta’s production house to write dialogues for her film Ishq In Paris.
- Happy Birthday Preity Zinta: The dimpled beauty sure knows her craft
- Preity Zinta acquitted in cheque bouncing case
- HC quashes warrant against Preity Zinta
- HC refuses to quash cheque bouncing case against Preity Zinta
- In relief to Zinta, HC asks Amrohi’s kin to disclose bank account details
- Preity Zinta faces arrest over bounced cheque,non-bailable warrant issued
Tyrewala had been promised Rs 18.9 lakh if the dialogues, meant as a voiceover, were used in the film. Tyrewala, according to Zinta’s lawyer, had been handed a blank cheque with instructions only to encash it if his delivery of the assignment was made in time and the work became part of the film. “But stop-payment instructions were issued and Tyrewala filed a case of dishonouring a cheque payment at the Andheri Magistrate Court,” said advocate Hitesh Jain, who represented Zinta. “The notice was faulty, it named my client as an accused in her capacity as a partner with the firm. But the complaint only named her and not the company,” he said.