The Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the Badminton Association of India (BAI) to file an affidavit stating the performance of badminton players selected in the national team who will participate in upcoming international tournaments.
The court’s direction came in a petition filed by shuttler Prajakta Sawant who had accused the Badminton Authority of India (BAI) and its chief coach Pullela Gopichand of not selecting her for international tournaments.
Sawant had alleged that Gopichand tried to promote players from his own academy and state. She said that he had made wild allegations against her that she was not serious about the game when she asked for her doubles partner to be changed.
Gopichand had earlier refuted the allegations made by Sawant and stated that Sawant had threatened to commit suicide. He also said that Sawant and her father had habitually harassed him,other players at the academy and also staff members. Sawant’s impertinence and stubborn attitude shows she has no respect for her coaches or the association,Gopichand contended.
Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice M S Sanklecha also asked the BAI to accept Sawant’s application to participate in international tournaments and forward it to concerned authorities. The court said that it will decide at a later stage who will bear the expenses for Sawant.
In March,Gopichand’s counsel had told the court that the national coach will not participate in the selection process of Sawant. He also said that he had not grudge against her and would still coach her professionally if she agrees to withdraw the allegations against him.
The court will hear the case further on October 22.