Court allows blast accused Nachan to appear before tribunal in Delhi

A Sessions Court has granted 2003 Mulund blast accused Saquib Nachan permission to visit New Delhi to make an in-person representation before the Unlawful Activities Tribunal on allegations levelled against him by the Union of India.

Written by Sukanya Shetty | Published: July 2, 2012 3:37 am

A Sessions Court has granted 2003 Mulund blast accused Saquib Nachan permission to visit New Delhi to make an in-person representation before the Unlawful Activities Tribunal on allegations levelled against him by the Union of India.

Nachan,an undertrial in the case and on bail,will appear before the tribunal presided by Delhi High Court judge Justice V K Shali in New Delhi on July 3.

‘’Background notes submitted by the Under-Secretary of Home Affairs claim that I have authored two books in jail. However,both these books have existed for decades now and are available in open market. These books are not banned and have nothing provocative that the government considered it to be banned,’’ Nachan said.

The books — Doctrine of Jehad and Jehad-fi- Sabillah — have been available openly. The latter is authored by an Islam scholar,Maulana Sayyad Abulala Maudadi. In background notes,the Union claims that through his articles,Nachan has criticised the government for allegedly targeting Muslims in the name of terrorism and giving free hand to Hindu radical elements.

It further claimed that activities of banned organisation SIMI,of which Nachan was allegedly a secretary general until it was banned in 2002,has notably surged after his release from jail. Nachan was released on March 2,2011 on bail.

“If the government feels that the activities have increased why has it not filed a single case against me?” Nachan said.

The background notes also claimed that SIMI activists in Padgha in Thane district,where Nachan hails from,had organised a condolence meeting after terrorist Osama Bin Laden’s death last year.

Refuting the claim,Nachan said,“How does the government justify itself by calling a condolence meeting a crime and even if it does why hasn’t any case been registered after such a meeting? Anyway,I have not been part of any such meeting.”

The tribunal visits each state every two years,seeking reports on the status of banned organisations. An organisation can be banned only for two years at a stretch.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results