The Anti-Extortion Cell (AEC) of the Mumbai Police Crime Branch on Monday made one more arrest in connection with the alleged plot to commit three crimes in the Thane district, including the murder of two influential people. The accused, who was allegedly in direct touch with the wanted fugitive who sanctioned the killings, is also suspected to have played a similar role in an earlier plot to kill a Dombivli-based politician, which was also busted by the Anti Extortion Cell last month.
On March 13, AEC had arrested three accused from Bhandup, who were allegedly paid Rs two lakh and were promised more money in exchange for killing a Dombivli-based politician and an Ulhasnagar-based builder, as well as for firing bullets at the office of a construction company in Dombivli.
- Producer arrested for asking gangster to make threat calls to director, says Mumbai Police
- Dawood Ibrahim’s brother Iqbal Kaskar remanded in police custody in extortion case
- Mumbai: Suresh Pujari gang busted, Crime Branch arrests five
- Police recover pistol, bullets of 2005 murder victim from wanted fugitive’s aide
- Two arrested for passing info of ‘potential targets for extortion’ to wanted fugitive
- Devadiga sent to police custody
According to Crime Branch officers, the arrested trio named Milind Pednekar alias Kaka in their interrogation as the man who had recruited them for the job. Pednekar was subsequently arrested on Monday. “Pednekar was in direct touch with the wanted criminal and was relaying his instructions to them,” said a Crime Branch officer.
Meanwhile, the police have also found evidence indicating that the seven accused arrested on February 24 for allegedly plotting to kill another political leader from Dombivli were also recruited by the same wanted fugitive, who is also alleged to have sanctioned several crimes in Mumbai.