The city’s only keeper of elephants could soon lose his ownership certificate. After issuing offence reports against him, the Thane (territorial) division of the forest department has written to the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests in Bihar, requesting to revoke the ownership certificate.
Shubhashankar Pandey has two elephants — Lakshmi (45) and Rupa (30). Despite the department’s October 2013 directive, which prohibits the entry of elephants into Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane regions, Lakshmi was spotted in Dahisar and recently at a temple function in Powai.
The letter to PCCF states that elephant owner is not following the terms and conditions laid down for owning elephants and is going against the directive issued by additional principal chief conservator of forests (wildlife).
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“We have asked PCCF-Bihar to revoke Pandey’s ownership certificate for bringing the elephant into the city against our orders as well as for violating the Performing Animals (Registration) Rules, 2001. The moves comes after complaints from several NGOs and cognisance taken by the forest department on several occasions,” said K P Singh, chief conservator of forests and field director, Thane (territorial).