While Mumbai scored the highest in per capita capital expenditure among all Indian cities, the financial centre of the country has got zero on ten on citizen services, revealed an annual survey released by the Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy on Friday.
At Rs 7,587, Mumbai has the highest per capita capital expenditure. And with a score of 5.1 on 10, the city has the second highest municipal staff strength. “In terms of citizen services, the city failed to open an account as there are no single window civic centres to facilitate delivery of public services,” said Ramesh Ramanathan, co-founder of Janaagraha.
The organisation released the second edition of the Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS) ranking Mumbai at number nine among the 21 leading cities of the country it surveyed on citizen participation, public services, powers of municipal corporations, transparency in governance and urban planning.
At 46 per cent, the city also has the lowest voter turnout in council elections. “Surprisingly, Mumbai like Bhubaneswar records a higher voter turnout in municipal elections in comparison to legislative elections,” Ramanathan said.
The survey included 83 questions covering 115 parameters that define the functioning and policy framework of the cities. It evaluated cities on four aspects — urban planning and design, urban capacities and resources, empowered and legitimate political representation, and transparency, accountability and participation.
“Mumbai has scored a dismal 2.9 as compared to an average of 3.3 of all Indian cities in transparency, accountability and participation. But the city has scored 4 in urban capacities and resources as compared to 2.6, an average scored by Indian cities,” Ramanathan added.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More