Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao, a prominent BJP leader from Telangana, was on Saturday sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra, following the resignation of K Sankaranarayanan.
In a ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan here today, Rao took charge as the Governor of Maharashtra.
Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court Justice Mohit Shah administered him the oath of the office, while Chief Secretary
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Swadhin Kshatriya read out the warrant of Rao’s appointment issued by the President of India.
Among those present on the occasion were Rao’s wife Vinoda Rao, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Telangana BJP chief Kishan Reddy, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari, BJP MPs Vijay Goyal and Kirit Somaiya and Mumbai police Chief Rakesh Maria, among others.
After the swearing-in ceremony, Rao was given the ceremonial Guard of Honour by the Indian Navy at Raj Bhavan.
Rao has taken over from Gujarat Governor Om Prakash Kohli, who was given additional charge as the Governor of Maharashtra following the resignation of Sankaranarayanan, after he was transferred to Mizoram by the Central government.
73-year-old Rao, who hails from Karimnagar district of Telangana, has served as the Minister of State for Home in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
After schooling in his native district and intermediate in Hyderabad, he completed his graduation in science from Maharashtra. He also did LLB from Osmania University in Hyderabad and was a practicing lawyer before he became active in the Jan Sangh.
He was elected thrice to the undivided Andhra Pradesh Assembly in 1985, 1989 and 1994 from Metpalli in his native Karimnagar district.
Rao was elected to the 12th and 13th Lok Sabha from Karimnagar in Andhra Pradesh and found a berth in Vajpayee’s Cabinet. He however, lost the recent Lok Sabha election from Karimnagar.