Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao, a prominent BJP leader from Telangana, was on Saturday sworn in as the Governor of Maharashtra, following the resignation of K Sankaranarayanan.
In a ceremony held at the Raj Bhavan here today, Rao took charge as the Governor of Maharashtra.
Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court Justice Mohit Shah administered him the oath of the office, while Chief Secretary
Swadhin Kshatriya read out the warrant of Rao’s appointment issued by the President of India.
Among those present on the occasion were Rao’s wife Vinoda Rao, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Telangana BJP chief Kishan Reddy, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari, BJP MPs Vijay Goyal and Kirit Somaiya and Mumbai police Chief Rakesh Maria, among others.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
After the swearing-in ceremony, Rao was given the ceremonial Guard of Honour by the Indian Navy at Raj Bhavan.
Rao has taken over from Gujarat Governor Om Prakash Kohli, who was given additional charge as the Governor of Maharashtra following the resignation of Sankaranarayanan, after he was transferred to Mizoram by the Central government.
73-year-old Rao, who hails from Karimnagar district of Telangana, has served as the Minister of State for Home in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government.
After schooling in his native district and intermediate in Hyderabad, he completed his graduation in science from Maharashtra. He also did LLB from Osmania University in Hyderabad and was a practicing lawyer before he became active in the Jan Sangh.
He was elected thrice to the undivided Andhra Pradesh Assembly in 1985, 1989 and 1994 from Metpalli in his native Karimnagar district.
Rao was elected to the 12th and 13th Lok Sabha from Karimnagar in Andhra Pradesh and found a berth in Vajpayee’s Cabinet. He however, lost the recent Lok Sabha election from Karimnagar.