Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Tuesday laid the foundation stone for the 32.5-km Colaba-Bandra-Seepz underground metro corridor, paving the way for start of work on the Rs 23,136 crore project in a record time of 14 months since it was approved by the Centre.
Last month, Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation (MMRC), which is developing the project on an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) model, had invited tenders worth Rs 129.32 crore for the civil work at the metro car depot at Aarey Colony in Goregaon.
“We have already invited bids for the depot work and it is in the final stages. Later, in December, we will invite tenders for tunneling,” MMRDA additional metropolitan commissioner Sanjay Sethi told reporters on the sidelines of the ground-breaking ceremony.
The government has signed a loan agreement with Japanese funding agency JICA which will provide nearly 57 per cent of the total cost of the project or Rs 13,235 crore.
The Centre and the state will equally contribute for the remaining cost of the project, out of which Rs 777 crore will be borne by the Mumbai International Airport, since the metro will pass through the airport areas.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
All barring one of the 27 stations of the metro will be underground. The one at the Aarey Colony, Goregaon on the northern fringe of the city will be at the ground level.
The corridor is expected to be completed by FY20 and is estimated to carry 13.9 lakh commuters daily by 2021 and 17 lakh by 2031.
The 27 stations on the corridor are Cuffe Parade, Vidhan Bhavan, Churchgate, Hutatma Chowk (Fountain), CST, Kalbadevi, Girgaon, Grant Road, Mumbai Central, Mahalaxmi, Science Museum, Acharya Atre Chowk, Worli, Siddhi Vinayak, Dadar, Shitaladevi Temple, Dharavi, BKC, Vidya Nagari, Santa Cruz,
Domestic Airport, Sahar Road, International Airport, Marol Naka, MIDC, Seepz and Goregaon. The MMRDA is also planning a 40-km metro line on the Dahisar-Bandra-Mankhurd sector with an estimated cost of Rs 30,000 crore.