Follow Us:

Woman’s plea seeking ‘official marriage’ to Salem opposed in court

The woman complained that she was known as Salem’s wife in her locality after the purported article was published and was defamed after the police conducted an inquiry into it.

Written by Meghna Yelluru | Mumbai | Updated: August 2, 2015 1:12:14 am
abu salem, gangster abu salem, abu salem marriage, 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, TADA court, Mumbra woman, Salem Mumbra woman, Salem nikah, 1993 blasts case, Mumbai latest news, India latest news, Nation news, Abu salem news, Mumbai news Gangster Abu Salem.

Claiming that the inquiry into extradited gangster Abu Salem’s purported marriage to a Mumbra-based woman has not caused any prejudice to her, the prosecution in the case has opposed the plea filed by her seeking an “official marriage” to Salem.

The 25-year-old woman had approached the Terrorist And Disruptive Activities Act (TADA) court seeking permission to marry Salem, stating that rumours of her marriage with the gangster last year had made it impossible to find any other match for her and that she was defamed after her name and photographs appeared in the media linking her to Salem. The woman also claimed that the police inquiry into matter had further defamed and humiliated her in her family and locality. Responding to her plea, Salem had said he would give “his name to her officially”.

The prosecution, in its application opposing the plea, also maintained that though there was hardly any evidence to claim that the marriage between the duo had taken place in a train from Lucknow, “the tenor of the application…implicitly speaks about the existence of the unofficial marriage”.

“The initial plea seeks an ‘official’ marriage,” said special public prosecutor Deepak Salvi.

The woman complained that she was known as Salem’s wife in her locality after the purported article was published and was defamed after the police conducted an inquiry into it. “I feel since I am known as his wife, I should officially get married to him as no other alternative is available, nor is any other person ever going to marry me,” her application read.

Moreover, the prosecution also argued in the application that the woman had not taken any action against the newspaper in which the alleged marriage article had been published and nor had she shown any interest in doing so. Salvi, appearing in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case, also contended that the woman had no locus standi in the case and that the application was not maintainable in law.

The application also submitted that since Salem was a TADA convict and held a ‘terrorist’, there were “chances of him having threatened the woman to file the application” seeking an official marriage. The application further apprehends an event of Salem being taken to the marriage registrar and the possibility of a security threat during the commute. The special court is likely to pronounce its order on the plea on August 10.

Salem had urged the court to give favourable directions so that “the woman can move around freely and able to meet and answer relatives, friends and well-wishers”. Salem “apologised” to her for her sufferings and said he had no intention to cause “any disrespect or harm to the applicant.”

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts