As the deadline for Campa Cola compound residents to vacate and surrender the keys to their illegal flats ended Monday, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will file a report to the Supreme Court (SC) on the status of the illegal buildings in the Worli compound.
Civic officials of the G-south ward office where the corporation set up a counter to receive the keys from May 29 to June 2 said none of the 89 flat-owners came forward to submit their keys till Monday evening. “We will file a report on the status of the flats and submit this to the SC in the next couple of days. Our legal team has begun framing the report which will hold details of what has transpired from May 29 to June 2.
We will put it in such a way that we bring to the SC’s attention to the fact that the residents have refused to comply with its final orders,” said additional municipal commissioner Mohan Adtani.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
In May this year, the SC maintained a November 2013 order, which fixed the deadline of May 31 for Campa Cola residents to vacate their unauthorised houses. Last week, the SC agreed to hear a plea by the residents again, following which the residents requested the civic body to give them time until the hearing. “Suo motu we cannot extend the deadline for handing over keys. Instead of requesting us to extend the time, they (the residents) should approach the court to take such a decision,” said Adtani.
Even after re-tendering the proposal to demolish the 35 illegal floors in the seven buildings for the third time, BMC failed to receive any response. The civic body has now said it will employ its own men to carry out demolition work under the SC’s orders after residents vacate the flats. “Using our own staff, we can carry out demolition of the internal walls and slabs of the flat to make them uninhabitable. We will re-tender again in the next few days. Once the residents vacate the flats and we get ownership, we are likely to receive a better response to the tender,” Adtani said.
Meanwhile, the residents have pinned their hopes on the SC hearing and are hoping that the June 3 hearing will come in their favour. “We have nowhere else to go. We have written to the BMC to at least wait till the SC hearing. Till then, none of us are leaving the compound,” said Karan Sethia, a resident. “We are helpless people praying for the best and knocking on every door possible,” Sethia added.