In a significant judgment, the Bombay High Court on Tuesday confirmed the death penalty awarded to a man who raped and killed a 5-year-old girl in January 2013 stating that he would be a “menace” to the society.
A division bench of Justice V K Tahilramani and Justice V L Achliya observed that the case fell in the “rarest of rare” category.
The judges said that 53-year-old Dattatray Rokde had attacked the minor girl with brutality and the intention to inflict body injury. The victim was a “young, defenseless, harmless” minor girl, who had hardly seen five summers, the judges observed.
The court also observed that with the rising crimes against children, Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSOA), came into existence and same was relied upon the prosecution in the present case. The judges also ruled out the possibility of Rokde’s reformation observing his age and said the man had a habit of committing offences of such nature. The court also observed that the 53-year-old was forcefully subjecting his wife to sexual intercourse. “Thus, it is clear that the accused was committing marital rape on a regular basis,” the judges said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The minor girl had gone missing on January 1, 2013. The girl’s family, which lived in same locality as the accused, lodged a missing complaint with the police the following day. The girl’s naked body was found lying in front of their house on January 23.
Additional Public Prosecutor Usha Kejariwal relying on statements of witnesses including accused’s family members and other incriminating evidences proved the charges of rape and murder committed on the minor girl.
The sessions court on June 6, 2013 awarded death sentence to Rokde after convicting him under Section 302 (murder), 376 (rape) 376 (2) (f) and other relevant sections of Indian Penal Code. He was also convicted under relevant sections of the POCSOA.