BMC’s new parking policy stayed until public hearing

The state is yet to decide on a date for the hearing.

| Mumbai | Published: January 30, 2015 2:55 am

Following constant requests from resident associations in the A ward (includes Colaba, Churchgate and Cuffe Parade), the state government has now stepped in to stay the implementation of the BMC’s new parking policy till there is a public hearing on the issue. BJP MLA Raj Purohit, who has been fighting against the implementation of the policy along with the resident associations announced at a press conference, Thursday.

According to a letter by the presiding officer R M Pardeshi, Minister of State (Urban) Ranjit Patil has directed a “stay and hearing” on the pilot project followed by orders from Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. Purohit had met Fadnavis on Wednesday regarding the issue, who in turn directed Patil.

“Since the policy was to be implemented immediately, Minister of State Ranjit Patil has directed a stay until the government holds a public hearing taking all stakeholders into account,” Purohit said. He also added that the state is yet to decide on a date for the hearing.

The new parking policy, which increases the rates by a whopping 300 per cent, was to be implemented in the A ward on a pilot basis from February 1. The policy was passed by the all powerful general body of the BMC earlier in January, following which, around 15 resident associations in the A ward started meeting politicians and officials to scrap the policy, which according to them, is “not a citizen friendly policy”.

Additional municipal commissioner, SVR Srinivas said, “It is a setback for the civic body but we will appeal to the state to implement the policy and we are also open to suggestions or corrections that have to be made in
the policy.

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.