The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has said it will decide its action plan for the Campa Cola compound starting June 1, a day after the residents of the illegal houses are expected to vacate their flats as per the Supreme Court’s (SC) orders.“We will see how to go about the demolition of the illegal flats and what further steps need to be taken after May 31. As of now, the residents are expected to vacate their flats by the end of May and the court’s orders are binding on all of us,” additional municipal commissioner Mohan Adtani said.
Though the administration has issued tenders for contractors to bid for the demolition, it is facing strong opposition from corporators across party lines, who have been backing the residents’ demands for regularising flats. “There is no question of regularising the flats now. The court’s orders are specific and it has also been stated that strict action can be taken against people preventing the administrative process,” Adtani said.
While the residents have demanded an extension till the end of monsoons, the civic body has maintained only slums cannot be demolished during the monsoon season as per government regulations. “This doesn’t apply to Campa Cola compound in any way,” Adtani said.
Last week, the SC maintained a November 2013 order which fixed the deadline of May 31 for Campa Cola residents to vacate their illegal houses. The residents continued to blame BMC for failing to work out a solution over the past five months. They are still pinning their hopes on various political parties as well as Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan. “It is impossible for us to find a new house and shift in 25 days,” Nandini Mehta, a resident, said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016