While the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has said that it received around 13,000 suggestions and objections from residents to the revised draft of its Development Plan (RDDP) 2034, the Urban Design Research Institute has claimed that the figure is over 84,000. Citing data from documents procured under the Right to Information Act, the UDRI has alleged that the DP department of the civic body downsized the number to minimise the objections received from citizens.
Urban planner and UDRI executive director Pankaj Joshi stated that the BMC received more suggestions and objections for the RDDP than the for the plan’s earlier draft, which was scrapped by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. “The civic body has clubbed multiple applications signed by different individuals as one suggestion or objection, which should not be done. By law, unique signature implies a separate response. However, to ease the media pressure, the BMC chose to artificially reduce the number of suggestions and objections,” he said.
Joshi further alleged that the civic body does not have any record of a decision made to club the entries. “It makes one wonder if this was done by the DP revision team itself, to escape the wrath of the civic commissioner and the DP department or to undermine the voices of people in Mumbai,” he said. Defending the BMC’s stand, an official from the Development Plan department said, “We have been open about the fact that the suggestions and objections have been clubbed to avoid repetition. All citizens have been given a fair platform to participate and offer their views.”
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Joshi added that the BMC had received nearly 65,000 responses for the Earlier Draft Development Plan. While the civic body has claimed that it received only 13,049 responses for the RDDP, the RTI documents indicate that if each response were to be counted, Joshi said, the DP department had received 84,767 responses. As per his documents, the BMC has received 81,467 physical submissions and 3,300 online responses.