Despite being critical of Narendra Modi’s Gujarat development model, Anna Hazare has said a Modi-led government, if elected to power, would perform “slightly better” than the present one at the Centre. “At least it won’t be remote controlled from outside,” the anti-graft crusader told The Indian Express.
However, he added that Modi was still not the ideal choice for the top post. “He won’t be in a position to introduce major reforms like Right to Reject, Right to Recall or decentralisation of powers up to the gram panchayat level. In fact, neither Modi nor Rahul Gandhi can do that. As long as paksh and parties dominate the electoral process, the country is unlikely to get true democracy,” he said.
Hazare also hinted he was set to initiate another nationwide citizens’ movement after the Lok Sabha polls. “There is a need to spread awareness that people must rise above party politics and send individuals of proven integrity to Parliament. It does not matter if such individuals sit in power or in opposition,” he said, adding that his campaign had the backing of about 40 like-minded activists. He also clarified he does not plan to contest elections in the future.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Hazare slammed the Gujarat development model, stating that his anti-graft outfit, Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan Samiti, had received several corruption complaints under Modi’s reign in the state. “If the Gujarat CM was sincere in weeding out corruption, why has he not fully empowered the state Lokayukta?” Hazare said.
Hazare also reiterated that it was Arvind Kejriwal’s hunger to become PM that brought about the downfall of the AAP government in the Capital. “I have already said it was a mistake,” Hazare said.