Despite being critical of Narendra Modi’s Gujarat development model, Anna Hazare has said a Modi-led government, if elected to power, would perform “slightly better” than the present one at the Centre. “At least it won’t be remote controlled from outside,” the anti-graft crusader told The Indian Express.
However, he added that Modi was still not the ideal choice for the top post. “He won’t be in a position to introduce major reforms like Right to Reject, Right to Recall or decentralisation of powers up to the gram panchayat level. In fact, neither Modi nor Rahul Gandhi can do that. As long as paksh and parties dominate the electoral process, the country is unlikely to get true democracy,” he said.
Hazare also hinted he was set to initiate another nationwide citizens’ movement after the Lok Sabha polls. “There is a need to spread awareness that people must rise above party politics and send individuals of proven integrity to Parliament. It does not matter if such individuals sit in power or in opposition,” he said, adding that his campaign had the backing of about 40 like-minded activists. He also clarified he does not plan to contest elections in the future.
Hazare slammed the Gujarat development model, stating that his anti-graft outfit, Bhrashtachar Virodhi Jan Andolan Samiti, had received several corruption complaints under Modi’s reign in the state. “If the Gujarat CM was sincere in weeding out corruption, why has he not fully empowered the state Lokayukta?” Hazare said.
Hazare also reiterated that it was Arvind Kejriwal’s hunger to become PM that brought about the downfall of the AAP government in the Capital. “I have already said it was a mistake,” Hazare said.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest