By: Dipti Singh & Rohit Alok
Maharashtra’s Minister for Culture Vinod Tawde on Monday ordered a probe into the alleged “abusive” and “inappropriate” content during “All India Bakchod (AIB) Knockout” event held at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium in Worli on December 20.
The Department of Culture said the inquiry would ascertain if the group had procured necessary licences, including permission from the Censor Board, for broadcast of the recorded event and a performance licence from the Mumbai Police.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Tawde said he ordered the probe following complaints against the show that has now gone viral on the Internet. “I called a meeting of the department officials on Monday and asked them to verify these complaints after watching the video. After receiving feedback from them about the contents being abusive, I ordered a probe,” the senior BJP leader said.
Tawde said that a notice would be issued to the manager of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel stadium asking if its officials had verified whether the group had all the necessary licences for a performance.
The videos uploaded on YouTube and other websites last week are a three-part recording of the event. The YouTube video itself cautions viewers that the video is “filthy, rude and offensive”. AIB organisers refused to comment on the probe.
The show has also led to police complaints. According to the police, a written complaint was submitted to the Saki Naka police on Monday by Akhilesh Tiwari (43), president of Brahman Ekta Seva Sanstha, alleging obscene and abusive content at the comedy show hosted by AIB.
“No offence has been registered yet. We are verifying whether the content is fit for public viewing,” said P Y More, senior police inspector with the Saki Naka police.
The Bandra police also received a similar application by a group named Maharashtra Christian Youth Forum. “We have forwarded the matter to the police station concerned where the alleged incident took place,” said Satyanarayan Choudhary, deputy commissioner of police (Zone IX).
The “Roast” is actually a genre of ‘insult comedy’ broadcast online or at live performances. The AIB Knockout’s live show and its recording on YouTube had social media abuzz with the roast of Bollywood actors Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh with Karan Johar acting as ‘roastmaster’ of the show in front of a crowd of 4,000 people at Worli.