Following media reports about gangster Abu Salem’s alleged wedding on a train while he was being taken to Lucknow for a court hearing, the Thane Commissioner of Police has ordered an inquiry after the designated TADA court’s order to look into the matter.
On January 8, while Salem was being taken to a Lucknow court by train, his girlfriend, who reportedly met him six months ago at the sessions court at Kala Ghoda, boarded the same train at a station and their marriage was solemnised in the presence of a Kazi brought along by the woman.
“The marriage was solemnised in the presence of Salem’s nephew Rashid Ansari and constables attached with the Thane Local Arms division, who were escorting him,” said a source close to Salem.
Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi confirmed Tuesday that he had ordered a probe. “There were eight policemen from the Thane Local Arms division escorting Salem. A larger escort party was required as he is a TADA accused. If something like this has indeed happened on the train in their presence, they will have to face the music,” he said. The report is to be submitted to the court within 10 days.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
However, Salem, who was present in the court on Tuesday, rubbished the story. “Media is behind my life and keeps writing fake stories. I have not married anyone,” Salem said. His lawyer Saba Qureshi said she would move the court seeking redressal against the “false news”.
Salem, who was extradited from Portugal in 2002 along with his then alleged wife and Bollywood starlet Monica Bedi, is facing at least eight cases across the country.
Lodged at present in Thane’s Taloja jail, he is regularly ferried to courts in New Delhi, Lucknow and Bhopal. On January 8, when the alleged incident took place, Salem was heading for a hearing in a fake passport case pending against him.
Salem has continued to remain in the news even while in jail, where he was attacked twice, once by his co- accused Mustafa Dossa in 2010 inside the Arthur road jail and later by inside Taloja jail last year when he was shot at by an inmate, Devendra Jagtap.