Following media reports about gangster Abu Salem’s alleged wedding on a train while he was being taken to Lucknow for a court hearing, the Thane Commissioner of Police has ordered an inquiry after the designated TADA court’s order to look into the matter.
On January 8, while Salem was being taken to a Lucknow court by train, his girlfriend, who reportedly met him six months ago at the sessions court at Kala Ghoda, boarded the same train at a station and their marriage was solemnised in the presence of a Kazi brought along by the woman.
“The marriage was solemnised in the presence of Salem’s nephew Rashid Ansari and constables attached with the Thane Local Arms division, who were escorting him,” said a source close to Salem.
Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi confirmed Tuesday that he had ordered a probe. “There were eight policemen from the Thane Local Arms division escorting Salem. A larger escort party was required as he is a TADA accused. If something like this has indeed happened on the train in their presence, they will have to face the music,” he said. The report is to be submitted to the court within 10 days.
However, Salem, who was present in the court on Tuesday, rubbished the story. “Media is behind my life and keeps writing fake stories. I have not married anyone,” Salem said. His lawyer Saba Qureshi said she would move the court seeking redressal against the “false news”.
Salem, who was extradited from Portugal in 2002 along with his then alleged wife and Bollywood starlet Monica Bedi, is facing at least eight cases across the country.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Lodged at present in Thane’s Taloja jail, he is regularly ferried to courts in New Delhi, Lucknow and Bhopal. On January 8, when the alleged incident took place, Salem was heading for a hearing in a fake passport case pending against him.
Salem has continued to remain in the news even while in jail, where he was attacked twice, once by his co- accused Mustafa Dossa in 2010 inside the Arthur road jail and later by inside Taloja jail last year when he was shot at by an inmate, Devendra Jagtap.