Nadeem Shaikh,arrested in the 13/7 Mumbai triple blasts case,told the special MCOCA court on Monday that his confession was extracted under duress. He had earlier given a confessional statement under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
After invoking the stringent provisions of the MCOCA against the four arrested accused in the case,the state Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) produced them before the special MCOCA court on Monday. The agency sought 45 days to file a chargesheet in the case.
Shaikh,Naqi Ahmed,Kanwar Pathrija and Haroon Naik are currently in judicial custody.
Shaikh told the court he wanted to retract his confession. We moved an application before the court following Shaikhs statement that his confession was not voluntary, said his lawyer Khalid Azmi.
The ATS said the blasts were allegedly carried out by Indian Mujahideen and its top operative Yasin Bhatkal was directly involved. He is absconding.
Three blasts ripped through Zaveri Bazaar,Opera House and Dadar on July 13 last year,killing 27 people. The case has now been adjourned till April 23.