A Bollywood playback singer was arrested Thursday for allegedly raping his girlfriend, while his brother was booked on complaint of making threats to her life.
Ankit Tiwari (24), known for his songs in the recently released movie Aashiqui 2, was booked under rape charges after a 28-year-old advertising professional approached the Versova police station alleging rape. In her complaint, the woman has said the singer raped her on many occasions since July 2013 after promising marriage.
“The victim had given a detailed complaint in writing in February, on the basis of which we registered an FIR in March, and after verifying all the evidence, we arrested him on Thursday,” said inspector Machidra Vadkhe.
Police said the woman was a divorcee and was introduced to Tiwari through a common friend in October 2012.
In July 2013, Tiwari went to the victim’s sister residence after she invited him to attend a party. During the party, Tiwari asked her to consume alcohol and later raped her, police said. When the victim confronted him, he allegedly went to the victim’s house with a sachet of sindoor and enacted a dramatic ‘wedding’. He said he would ‘legalise’ the wedding soon. The next day, when the victim called him to the local BMC office in Goregaon to register the marriage, Tiwari did not turn up. She has further alleged that in December 2013, Tiwari’s brother Ankur learned of their relationship. and threatened her at knife-point, asking her end the relationship.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
Lawyer Neeraj Gupta, representing both the suspects, trashed the allegations, saying they were ‘fabricated’. “The woman was demanding Rs 3 crore from my client, which he declined to pay. Due to this, she filed the FIR.”
A statement issued by the Tiwari family reads, “…Ankit came to know that she was a divorcee and had a daughter aged 13 years. He was shocked and deeply hurt by this betrayal. Immediately, he asked that girl to end the relationship, but she started threatening him.”