A 70-year-old businessman who left his Parel residence saying he needed to breathe “fresh air”, committed suicide by jumping off the Bandra-Worli Sealink on Tuesday morning.
The deceased identified as Lalchand Rathod, owned a business of import and export and lived with his wife and two sons. He was also a money lender.
According to Bandra police, the incident took place at 10.45 am at the Bandra end of the Sealink when Rathod got off from his Chevrolet car and jumped off the bridge.
The police said they had received a call from Rathod’s driver that his employer had asked him to drive him to Bandra, the two had left from their Parel home at 10.20 am and crossed the Sealink and reached Bandra. Rathod then asked the driver to take an U-turn and return to Worli. “When the driver crossed the toll booth, Rathod asked him to drive on the extreme left lane. Once they were on the Sealink, Rathod asked him to stop the car at the side. Rathod then opened the door of the car and without a word, jumped off the bridge,” said Shivajirao Kolekar, assistant commissioner of police (Bandra division).
Police, with fire brigade’s help, traced Rathod’s body and fished out within two hours of the incident. The police officers then informed Rathod’s family . The police have registered a case of accidental death and are in the process of recording the statements of Rathod’s family members to find out more about his depression and its cause.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016