A seven-year-old girl was reportedly kidnapped and sexually assaulted in Kandivali early on Thursday. She underwent surgery at tertiary-care Nair hospital when her condition turned critical. Police sources said the alleged rapist is still at large.
According to the police, the girl was sleeping on the railway foot overbridge in Kandivali East with her family when her father woke up and found her missing at 4 am.
- Police expand suspect list in Haryana Dalit girl’s rape, murder, friend missing
- Haryana Dalit girl gangraped, murdered: Attackers thrust object into girl's body, says doctor
- Narrated ordeal to her doctor: Six held for raping minor girl with mental illness
- Delhi Police arrest 21-yr-old for raping minor girl who delivered a child
- Kolkata: Four-year-old allegedly sexually assaulted in school toilet, teacher being questioned
- 33-year-old sexually assaulted toddler in front of his kids: Delhi cops
“The father looked everywhere. At 7 am, the girl was found crying and bleeding outside Kandivali railway station. He rushed her to Shatabdi Hospital, where a medical examination concluded that she had been sexually assaulted. The hospital then informed the police,” said M Ramkumar, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone XII. He added that a few clues had been found about the identity of the rapist.
The victim’s family, the police said, is homeless and sells flower garlands to make ends meet, while the children beg at traffic signals.
After physical examination at Shatabdi hospital, the girl was rushed in critical condition to tertiary-care Nair Hospital. Doctors at Nair hospital confirmed that the girl underwent surgery in the pediatric unit. “She is stable. Since it is a medico-legal case, we cannot comment further,” said Dr R N Bharmal, dean at Nair hospital.
According to Dr Suhasini Nagda, director of tertiary-care civic hospitals, a point-of-contact has been created for all sexual assault victims to deal with counselling, evidence collection, legal aid and police investigations at Nair hospital. “In this case, gynaecology department and forensic department will provide necessary treatment at one place,” said Nagda.