Eight years after seven bombs went off in suburban trains here killing 188 people, a special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) Court
concluded trial in the case Tuesday and reserved its judgment, which is likely to be delivered next month.
“The court has reserved its judgment in the case today,” special public prosecutor Raja Thakare said, adding that judgment is likely to be passed on September 19.
In the marathon trial which lasted eight years, the prosecution examined 192 witnesses, including eight Indian Police Service (IPS) officers, five Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officers as well as 18 doctors, while defence lawyers examined 51 witnesses and one person was called as court witness.
The deposition made by witnesses runs into around 5,500 pages.
Seven RDX bombs had exploded in the first-class coaches of Mumbai’s suburban trains on July 11, 2006, killing 188 people and injuring 829 others.
The blast occurred between Khar Road-Santacruz, Bandra-Khar Road, Jogeshwari-Mahim Junction, Mira Road-Bhayander, Matunga- Mahim Junction and Borivali.
Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Dr Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30), Asif Khan (38) are the accused who were arrested by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Azam Chima, along with 14 others, are absconding in the case.
Examination of witnesses resumed after two years since the Supreme court had stayed the trial in 2008. Before the stay, the prosecution had already examined a police officer.
The Supreme Court vacated the stay on April 23, 2010.