The parole of Zaibunissa Qazi (72), a convict in the 1993 blasts case, was extended by a month on Friday. Zaibunissa, who was released on parole on January 23, had contracted infection after spending eight months in Pune’s Yerawada Jail as part of her five-year prison term, her family had earlier said.
“Zaibunissa’s parole was supposed to end this month. However, she applied for another extension on February 5,” her lawyer N N Gawankar told Newsline. Zaibunissa’s daughter confirmed the parole has been extended.
The state home department on January 20 granted a 30-day parole to Zaibunissa, who was convicted for keeping illegal AK-56 rifles, bullets and grenades in her house in the run-up to the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai.
Relief to Zaibunissa comes close on the heels of a second parole extension given on February 18 to actor Sanjay Dutt, who is also serving his five-year term in the case in the same jail.