‘12 non-metros fared better than Mumbai in IIT-JEE last year’

Only the top 1,50,000 candidates, based on their scores in paper-I of JEE (Main) 2014, are eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2014.

Written by Mihika Basu | Mumbai | Published: May 24, 2014 2:08 am

As students gear up for IIT-JEE (Advanced) on Sunday, analysis shows that while 12 non-metros were ahead of Mumbai in terms of the number of students who qualified last year, in the overall scores, candidates from urban areas had fared better than their rural counterparts.

While 2,022 students had registered from Mumbai, last year, 631 qualified. The non-metros, which performed better than Mumbai include Ajmer, Bathinda, Faridabad, Gautam Budh Nagar, Gwalior, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Mathura, Panipat, Patiala, Udaipur and Vishakhapatnam. From the IIT-Bombay zone, 19.53 per cent from urban areas qualified as against 11.12 per cent from rural areas.

Only the top 1,50,000 candidates, based on their scores in paper-I of JEE (Main) 2014, are eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2014. According to IIT-Kharagpur, 1,26,990 candidates have registered this year, which includes 10,509 from Maharashtra. The results will be declared on June 19. This year, around 30,000 students are appearing from the IIT-Bombay zone.

“In 2013, about 69.6 per cent candidates attempted JEE (Advanced) for the first time, which is very low compared to 80 per cent of JEE-2012. Further, 59.2 per cent of the candidates qualified in the first attempt in 2013, and 40.8 per cent in the second attempt,” said an analysis conducted by the IITs.

Among the states, which had more students qualifying than those registered in 2013, Maharashtra was ranked third—while 7.32 per cent had registered, 7.47 qualified last year. Andhra Pradesh (17.75 per cent qualified as compared to 14.39 per cent registrations) and Rajasthan (17.43 per cent qualified as compared to 14.39 per cent registrations) grabbed the top two positions.

The Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education performed poorly as compared to Central Board of Secondary Education, Andhra Pradesh Board of Intermediate Education and Rajasthan Board of Secondary Education. While 5.99 per cent registered from the Maharashtra state board, 5.81 per cent could qualify.

In the self-study versus other methods, students who had availed coaching achieved a greater success rate in 2013. While 67.59 per cent self-study students had registered from IIT Bombay, 52.57 qualified. On the other hand, of the 32.41 per cent students who had taken coaching, 47.43 per cent qualified in 2013.

mihika.basu@expressindia.com

For all the latest Mumbai News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results