One person was killed and 30 others were injured in a major fire at a hotel in Navi Mumbai’s Vashi area early this morning, civic officials said.
Out of the 30 injured, 20 people are reported to be in a serious condition, they said.
A short circuit in one of the AC ducts of three-storey Hotel Wanton House apparently led to the massive blaze at the premises, located in Sector 26 on the Palm Beach Road of Vashi, they said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“We got a call at around 5 AM that a fire has broken out in the hotel which also has a considerable number of foreigners staying in it. Following the call, we pressed eight fire engines and water tankers into service to douse the flames at the hotel,” an official from Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation informed.
The deceased is yet to be identified. The injured have been admitted to a Navi Mumbai civic hospital for treatment, he said.
Fire brigade officials said the blaze was brought under control after over four hours of hectic fire-fighting.
“The operation that began at 5 am took more than four hours to end. A lot of time was required to evacuate those trapped in the hotel and bring them to safety. Since the fire was a major one, getting the trapped to safety amidst the smoke was an uphill task. We also did not have a blueprint of the hotel initially which added to the confusion,” a fire official from the Navi Mumbai fire brigade said.
Several bank officials were also staying in the hotel to attend a seminar in the city, he said.