With a victory margin of mere 19,874 votes, Badal bahu Harsimrat Kaur is ready for her second innings as an MP. While her supporters are calling her a prospective ‘minister’ in NDA government, at the same time they were shocked over her reduced winning margin from 1.15 lakh in 2009.
The family remained indoors the whole day in Badal village and preferred to stay away from the media. Though her rival Manpreet Singh Badal, joint candidate of CPI, Congress and PPP, lost to her sister-in-law but he called it a moral victory.
Manpreet said: “I have reduced their winning margin drastically and this is indeed a moral victory for me. This happened despite the mass level booth rigging at many places. The authorities did not listen to me despite repeated complaints.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Manpreet said that the Aam Admi factor played a spoil sport for him. AAP polled 87,666 votes, while his namesake independent candidate Manpreet Badal got 4,610 votes. A total of 4,685 voters exercised NOTA. Harsimrat polled 5,14,089 votes, followed by Manpreet who polled 4,94,215 votes.
The Badals were expecting a winning margin in lakhs. While Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal had, on the polling day, stated that Harsimrat’s winning margin will be over 2 lakh, Deputy CM Sukhbir Badal had said that it will be at least 3 lakh. Harsimrat — throughout the campaign — had been saying that it was her easiest election and she was contesting just to improve her winning margin.
However, today the trio were in no mood to speak on this subject and were busy in thanksgiving ardaas. The victory celebration was subdued, as the dhol beating was done for a short time and the distribution of laddoos was done late in the evening.
While Manpreet had a lead in Bathinda urban, Mansa and Budhlada, the SAD led in the rest six assembly segments. In Lambi, the lead was of over 35,000 votes and in Sardulgarh, where Congress MLA Ajit Inder Moffar campaigned, the SAD lead was 21,000 votes.
Harsimrat’s younger daughter Gurleen became the lucky charm for her mother as today was her birthday, while tomorrow is her elder daughter Harkirat’s birthday.