Union Minister for Food Processing, Harsimrat Kaur Badal, on Saturday blamed food wastage as a major cause for inflation and said her target was to reduce this by at least 50 per cent in two years.
On her first visit to the Punjab Agricultural University after taking charge as Union Minister, Harsimrat said, “Food worth Rs 40,000 crore is wasted annually which is almost 18 per cent of total produce”, citing a survey by the Central Institute of Post-Harvest Engineering and Technology (CIPHET).
“Statistics say wastage is 18 per cent, but I know that it is much more. It is because of food processing technologies are not reaching farmers,” she said. The Minister said the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi was to “make food a national asset”. “PM Modi has made it clear that we need to control food wastage. Inflation is there because food is wasted,” she said.
Harsimrat announced that soon a “food map” of India will be prepared. “Work has already started to know that what crop is produced in which area and target is to setup processing units in its vicinity which will save transportation cost.” The Bathinda MP noted she was engaging the PAU and the CIPHET for providing food processing machinery to farmers in Punjab.
“Punjab is known for its farmers. It is food bowl and processing units need to be opened which are accessible to small farmers. We are engaging PAU and CIPHET to provide food processing machinery to farmers and educate them about it. “The idea is to make Punjab a role model state for food processing.” Opening of mini food parks and adoption of small farmers by industries that could assure them of procuring their produce were other targets, she added.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More