An undertrial in rape and murder case on Wednesday assaulted a cop at the court complex where he was brought for a hearing.
The division number 5 police station registered a case under sections 353, 186 and 506 of the IPC against the accused.
- Chhattisgarh: 19-year-old student gang-raped and poisoned, four arrested
- Mumbai: Constable arrested for ‘sexually harassing’ woman
- ‘Molestation’ inside Gurugram bar: Four arrested, bailed out
- Men on motorcycles, chilli powder help murder convict stage daring escape from Maulana Azad Medical College
- Palwal murder accused’s past: Slapping his Army senior, cop
- Nine-year old domestic help murdered in Ludhiana
The accused was identified as Balwinder Singh of Mehlon village of Sahnewal. The accused has been lodged in Ludhiana central jail as an undertrial in a rape and murder case registered against him at Sahnewal police station in 2013.
The case was registered following the statement of constable Surinder Kumar. He said when he was coming out from the court, the father and brother of Balwinder handed a packet to the latter. When he asked the accused for checking, the accused refused and opened attack on him. Later, when he checked the packet, he found three bundles of beedi, tobacco and lighter.