An undertrial in rape and murder case on Wednesday assaulted a cop at the court complex where he was brought for a hearing.
The division number 5 police station registered a case under sections 353, 186 and 506 of the IPC against the accused.
- Two prisoners flee from Phagwara jail, staff among 6 booked
- Three undertrials escape from Shimla's Kanda jail
- Three undertrials escape from Kanda prison
- Gangsters involved in 15 cases of murder and attempt to murder, say police
- Woman vendor raped in toilet of moving train in Madhya Pradesh
- Beedi bundles seized, head warden suspended at Ludhiana Central Jail
The accused was identified as Balwinder Singh of Mehlon village of Sahnewal. The accused has been lodged in Ludhiana central jail as an undertrial in a rape and murder case registered against him at Sahnewal police station in 2013.
The case was registered following the statement of constable Surinder Kumar. He said when he was coming out from the court, the father and brother of Balwinder handed a packet to the latter. When he asked the accused for checking, the accused refused and opened attack on him. Later, when he checked the packet, he found three bundles of beedi, tobacco and lighter.