Drain with heavy growth of weeds, silt was flooded with excess water in Machiwara area two days back thus causing a breach in Maini-Chamkaur Sahib-Machiwara(MCM) drain in Machiwara area. This flooded about 1500 acres of farm land area in and around where paddy transplantation was done recently.
Though the breach is being plugged but the damage to the crops is yet to be assessed as water has yet not been drained out of the fields.
The capacity of this drain is about 30 cusecs while on July 2 due to 135 mm rainfall in Ropar area, this drain got more than 135 cusecs which resulted in the breach. However, unclean drain was yet another reason.
Though drainage officials maintained that its cleaning was due in next year, however, heavy growth of weeds and silt was found even this year as well. This was not ruled out even by the DC Rajat Aggarwal who inspected the spot on Friday.
Trees planted along the drain had also fallen in the drain thus chocking it further. Drainage department chief engineer Gurdev Singh said that villagers should not plant trees along the drains.
The DC has ordered the revenue department to get girdawari of the affected land done so that the farmers can be compensated as per the damage.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Farmers, however, alleged that regular cleaning would have prevented this damage to a great extent. The breach plugging was on even today as well and officials told that water is likely to be drained out from the fields by Saturday.