Infighting within the Congress was exposed again on Saturday when party spokesperson Sukhpal Singh Khaira said that he was deeply anguished and saddened to note the “indifferent and callous attitude of party’s top leadership” over sensational issues raised by him, that could have broken the back of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD). Khaira also hinted at “a tacit understanding between the Akalis and top Congress leaders.”
“But by maintaining a studied silence, the top leadership is repeatedly providing safe exit routes to cornered Akali culprits like Bikram Singh Majithia,” he said in a statement today.
He said, the party missed a golden opportunity yesterday, when they failed to corner Majithia in the Vidhan Sabha over his blatant indulgence of receiving Rs 70 lakh of hawala-drug money from the known money launderer Gurmeet Manchanda, an accomplice of drug lord Jagdish Bhola.
The Congress could have forced the Speaker to adjourn the House and seek a statement from the Deputy Chief Minister-cum-Home Minister over the issue, pressing for the resignation of Majithia. But unfortunately this did not happen, Khaira added. Khaira said on earlier occasions too, he had brought to public domain matters of corruption, crime and drugs against senior Akali leaders, but all such anti-government issues were given a silent burial.
“To quote a few examples, I raised and filed a PIL against the unfair grant of Rs 1 crore from the public exchequer, to Sanawar School (HP) by Sukhbir Badal. It created massive public furore but our leadership never uttered a word. At present, I am fighting the case single handedly in the Supreme Court. Similarly, I had successfully cornered CPS NK Sharma over his blatant real estate violations, forcing the government to register two cases under the Environment Protection Act, 1986, but here too I received no party support,” he said. “In the Harpreet murder case also, I supported the complainant Kamaljit Singh in his 12-year-long battle, that led to conviction of Bibi Jagir Kaur. But, the Congress could not reap its rich political dividends,” he added.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to Khaira: “It is primarily due to lack of effective opposition, that we missed the golden chance to form the government in 2012 and the sharp decrease of poll percentage and seats in the just concluded Lok Sabha polls. Senior leaders have pointed out the emergence of Aam Admi Party as the reason for the debacle of Congress recently, but no one has analysed why and how, a faceless party without any organisation was able to poll 25 per cent of the votes and win four MP seats.”
“There are strong murmurs and rumors among the rank and file of the party, of a tacit understanding and a friendly match between our top leaders and the ruling combine. We have often beaten our chests to allege victimisation of Congress cadres and registration of 50,000 false cases against them under a political vendetta drive, but when it comes to fix and corner chief architects like Majithia responsible for marginalisation of our workers, a safe exit is provided to them. Therefore, I humbly appeal to the top brass of our party to shun frivolous jealousies, factionalism and groupism and put up a strong united front against the dictatorial Badal-Majithia-Kairon clans, to rid Punjab of this draconian govt. If we do not act unitedly and fearlessly, 2017 may again be a distant dream and a mirage,” Khaira said.