Sukhdev Singh Sirsa was elected new president of the Punjab Sahitya Kala Akademi at Punjabi Bhawan on Sunday. He defeated Dr Tejwant Mann and got 602 votes.
Sirsa succeeds Gurbhajan Singh Gill who headed the prestigious body of Punjabi writers for two years.
For the post of senior vice-president, Dr Surjit Singh Patiala got 534 votes and defeated Dr Joginder Singh Nirala. Dr Anoop Singh was unanimously elected general secretary.
For the posts of five vice-presidents, Tarlochan Lochi, Surinder Kailey, Gurcharan Kaur Kochar, Sudarshan Gaso and C Markanda won the polls and got 503, 457, 451, 445 and 342 votes respectively.
A total of 846 valid votes were polled. The body has around 1,600 members from across the world. Almost 1,200 of them are active in India. These polls are held after two years.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The Akademi, which is almost 60 years old, is one of the highly acclaimed associations of Punjabi writers with members from North America, Europe, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates. The body works on the promotion of Punjabi literature, book reading culture, deals with challenges facing Punjabi language and as a pressure group to promote Punjabi.