Six injured as roof caves in

Six people including four children were injured after the ceiling of their room collapsed this afternoon. The incident occurred in the Madhopuri area when 30-year-old Soma...

Written by Express News Service | Ludhiana | Published:March 26, 2009 2:25 am

Six people including four children were injured after the ceiling of their room collapsed this afternoon. The incident occurred in the Madhopuri area when 30-year-old Soma,her brother Naresh Kumar (35) and four children from Soma’s neighbourhood Kalpana (10),Sunny (4),Pawan (8) and Madhuri (11) were planning to make the afternoon tea. While Soma,who lost her husband sometime back,has received serious injuries and is being treated at the Christian Medical College and Hospital,her brother and two children with minor burns injuries are being treated at the Civil Hospital.

The police said the victims received burn injuries as the gas stove,which was inside the room,burst.

The ceiling caved in when Kalpana ignited the fire on the gas stove to make tea. A chunk of the ceiling fell on Soma as a result of which she received serious injuries on her head and face. Her brother Naresh and the four children were injured with minor burns. It has been learnt that Pawan and Madhuri were discharged from the hospital after first-aid.

The condition of Soma is serious due to internal bleeding.

Gurpreet Singh Bhinder,SHO,Basti Jodhewal,said,“The ceiling gave way and resulted in the tragedy. The woman got injured and the gas was on at that time which resulted in minor burns to the children.”

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.
Express Adda