The Punjab Spinners Association, in a meeting demanded demanded that VAT be reduced from 6% to 2% through exemption certificate for not paying the advance tax. Members also criticised free power supply to farmers while 13% electricity duty has been imposed on other consumers.
In fact, Punjab’s own industry which has made huge investments in the state is not able to compete with yarn spinners from outside Punjab as state spinners have to pay VAT at 6% on yarn where as spinners from other states pay either 2 % or none as central sale tax (CST), Madan Mohan Vyas, senior BJP leader and president of the association. He added that Delhi, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh have no VAT or CST on cotton yarn.
The tax disadvantage to the yarn spinners located in Punjab has further compounded the problems of spinners in Punjab as the power tariffs, wages and logistics costs in Punjab are already amongst the highest in the country, alleged the members.
States such as Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh are promoting textile industry in their states by giving tax exemptions and interest subsidy which is posing a big threat for Punjab textile industry. Punjab, on the other hand is losing its niche in overall textile market due to non intervention by the state authorities to make the tax regime competitive to other states.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More