In an emergency house meeting called within a notice of less than 48 hours, the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation proposed to shift road projects worth Rs 403.88 crore from Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) to Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
The crucial proposal has come up after cash-strapped Ludhiana MC tried to grab the opportunity which can save it from repaying loans to HUDCO and instead get 50 per cent of grants from the Centre, which are not to be paid back as per working of JNNURM. While the MC had to repay the loan to HUDCO, under JNNURM 50 per cent grants will be coming from the Centre, 20 per cent from state government and only rest of 30 per cent would be paid by the MC if the proposal is passed in the meeting to be held in New Delhi on January 21.
“The sole reason for calling this emergency house meet is to get the approval of the house for shifting road projects from HUDCO to JNNURM so that the funds can be availed from the Centre and rest of the funds which we save can be used for other developmental projects in different wards,” said Mayor Harcharan Singh Gohalwaria.
While MC commissioner Rahul Tewari was absent owing to illness, additional commissioner Isha Kalia presided over the meet. Kalia talking to Newsline said, “The step has been taken keeping in mind betterment of the city. If we get half the funds for road construction from Centre, the funds we save can be used in other projects.
We are hopeful that JNNURM officials will approve the road projects and the financial burden on MC will reduce greatly if it happens.” Asked if projects are not approved by JNNURM, she said, “In that case, projects will remain with HUDCO and all expenses will be paid by MC.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Projects to be shifted
*Remodelling of Ferozepur road from Jagraon bridge to Sidhwan Canal which includes construction of three underpasses at Bhai Wala chowk, Bharat Nagar chowk and Malhar road. It also includes 8-laning of road, 2m wide footpaths, three foot over bridges, new bus stops, street lighting etc. Its total cost is Rs 209.37 crore.
* Improvement of Chandigarh road from Samrala Chowk to MC limits worth Rs 109.31 crore.
* Improvement of Old GT road from Sherpur chowk to Jalandhar bypass worth Rs 85.20 crore.