In an emergency house meeting called within a notice of less than 48 hours, the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation proposed to shift road projects worth Rs 403.88 crore from Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO) to Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).
The crucial proposal has come up after cash-strapped Ludhiana MC tried to grab the opportunity which can save it from repaying loans to HUDCO and instead get 50 per cent of grants from the Centre, which are not to be paid back as per working of JNNURM. While the MC had to repay the loan to HUDCO, under JNNURM 50 per cent grants will be coming from the Centre, 20 per cent from state government and only rest of 30 per cent would be paid by the MC if the proposal is passed in the meeting to be held in New Delhi on January 21.
“The sole reason for calling this emergency house meet is to get the approval of the house for shifting road projects from HUDCO to JNNURM so that the funds can be availed from the Centre and rest of the funds which we save can be used for other developmental projects in different wards,” said Mayor Harcharan Singh Gohalwaria.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
While MC commissioner Rahul Tewari was absent owing to illness, additional commissioner Isha Kalia presided over the meet. Kalia talking to Newsline said, “The step has been taken keeping in mind betterment of the city. If we get half the funds for road construction from Centre, the funds we save can be used in other projects.
We are hopeful that JNNURM officials will approve the road projects and the financial burden on MC will reduce greatly if it happens.” Asked if projects are not approved by JNNURM, she said, “In that case, projects will remain with HUDCO and all expenses will be paid by MC.
Projects to be shifted
*Remodelling of Ferozepur road from Jagraon bridge to Sidhwan Canal which includes construction of three underpasses at Bhai Wala chowk, Bharat Nagar chowk and Malhar road. It also includes 8-laning of road, 2m wide footpaths, three foot over bridges, new bus stops, street lighting etc. Its total cost is Rs 209.37 crore.
* Improvement of Chandigarh road from Samrala Chowk to MC limits worth Rs 109.31 crore.
* Improvement of Old GT road from Sherpur chowk to Jalandhar bypass worth Rs 85.20 crore.